Friday, April 22, 2011

Spinach Hummus

My kids like vegetables, but occasionally they've been known to turn up their noses at things that they *think* they don't like. Such as, oh, I don't know... beans and spinach.

On the other hand, my children LOVE hummus. I'm sure you see where this is going.

Spinach Hummus:

1 Can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
1 Can canellini beans
1 Cup fresh spinach
1/4 Cup olive oil
1/2 Cup lemon juice
As much garlic as you like
Salt
Pepper

Put both cans of beans in your food processor,
along with the spinach:





















Now, add your olive oil, your lemon juice, and the garlic. As far as I'm concerned, more is better when it comes to garlic.

Can I just say a few things about garlic here? When it comes to garlic, fresh bulbs, mashed up with the flat side of a knife and then chopped, is absolutely the best thing on the planet. I know a lot of cooks turn up their noses at that stuff in a jar, including my boyfriend Anthony Bourdain -- however, the stuff in the jar is not bad if (a) you're having a garlic emergency and there's no way you can get to the store and (b) it's less than about two weeks since you first opened the jar. Try not to use the jar stuff if you can avoid it, because fresh is always better. But if you have to, you have to.

Anyway, mix the whole shebang up, season to taste with the salt and pepper, and then serve it up for some delicious hummusy goodness -- I didn't tell my kids it was just beans and spinach until after they'd tried it and pronounced it amazing.

And yes, I know traditionally hummus is just chickpeas and not cannellini beans. Try this combo, though, it's fantastic.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of hummus usually but if you are adding some of that yummy stuff to it I will just have to try it :) even though I don't have any success with fresh garlic I only use the jarred stuff I am sure it can't taste anything but awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I love hummus and we've made roasted red pepper before. I'll certainly try this one. Great Idea!!

    ReplyDelete