Thursday, April 7, 2011

Well Hello, My Pretties

So it was a lovely sunny day here in Middle Earth, and I decided to take advantage of it and go work in my yard. In addition to getting the house ready to put on the market, I needed to start my annual spring cleanup of the vegetable beds and garden. So, I trimmed back the raspberry patch, gathered up all the sticks that have landed in the grass over the past few months (yes, April windstorms, I'm lookin' at you) and then I raked up all the dead leaves out of the beds.

And look what I found hiding beneath:


Green onions that had wintered over! This is one of my favorite things to grow, and I thought I had gathered all of them in the fall, but apparently a few were lurking beneath the surface in the tomato patch, because there they were, waving at me when I raked out the debris this afternoon.

Best thing to do with green onions, besides eat them raw? Make dressing.

This is loosely based on Emeril's Green Onion Dressing, but I've made a few modifications because I don't love cilantro, and I hate to blanch vegetables.

This dressing actually is a bit like a gremolata, but you can dump it on your salad because it's liquidy instead of clumpy. Reduce the oil by half to make it more pesto-style.

  Green Onion Lemon Dressing:

1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1 - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp dry mustard
A big bunch of green onions, tops and all
A big bunch of fresh parsley
Salt and Pepper
One or two medium sized anchovies (optional)

Throw everything in the food processor, and blend the hell out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, but if I had fresh green onions, they'd never make it to the recipe stage, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I brought them straight in from the garden to the kitchen and throw them into dressing. Usually if I can keep my son from eating them before I've washed them, it's a big accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete