Friday, May 6, 2011

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip PB Cookies

This started out as a recipe from America's Test Kitchen, which I discovered when my mom hooked me up with the awesomesauce that is Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies. The original recipe, from Angela Sellers, appears here. Now, I've modified it just a little to suit my own tastes, and you can either bake it as I've adapted it, or use Angela's original, which is amazing too.

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

1 Cup Peanut Butter (use chunky or creamy, whichever you prefer. I hate chunky peanut butter, but hey, whatever trips your trigger)
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (use the real thing, don't even bother with the imitation stuff)
3/4 Cup chocolate chips

I should point out right away that Angela's original recipe calls for a full cup of chocolate chips. You can use that much, but then you end up with a lot of chocolatey melty runniness on the baking sheet, and the cookies don't seem to hold together as well - and this may be because I've substituted some of the sugar with brown sugar, and added the vanilla. Once I scaled back on the amount of chocolate, I liked the result a lot better. But if you want to use a whole cup, knock yourself out.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and then drop by rounded teaspoons onto baking sheets.

Look! They're all the same size!


A couple of tips here:
* If you use a dough scooper like this one, all your cookies will be a uniform size, and you really will get two dozen cookies out of the batch.
* Spray your scooper with cooking spray so your peanut butter doesn't get all glopped together and stuck in place
* If you're using a metal baking sheet, line it with parchment paper. If you use stoneware, you can skip the parchment.

Lots of chocolatey chip goodness inside!

Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes and then cool for five minutes. Pour yourself a nice big glass of milk and try not eat all 24 cookies at once.

Yum! They're happy you want to eat them!

No comments:

Post a Comment