Thursday, June 16, 2011

Big Hats and Martinis

I recently saw that in April 2012, there will be a re-release of the James Cameron movie Titanic, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ship's sinking. I've already suggested to my friends that we need to go to this in full costume, with big hats, bustles, martinis and life vests (see, I'm planning in advance). After all, who wouldn't want to wear that fantastic white and black striped ensemble that Kate Winslet wears as she's arriving at the docks in Southampton? WANT.

Now, here's the great part of all this. When you're looking at period costumes, from any era, it's really hard to picture yourself and what you would look like in them.

I, fortunately, have an ace in the hole. I bear a very strong resemblance to my great-grandmother's sister, Rose Wagner. And I've just found a photo of Rose which is dated 1910, when she was about twenty.

THIS, my pretties, is what I plan to wear:


It almost seems a shame to wear a life vest over something that lovely, so I may well be going down with the ship, martini in hand. See you all on the Promenade Deck!

3 comments:

  1. i have always left a past life was lost aboard the Titanic...funny since my birthday is 4/15...would love to know more about this...

    ReplyDelete