Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gluten Free Peach Cobbler

When I first found myself facing the issue of gluten-free cooking, one of the biggest hurdles for me to overcome was the fact that a lot of gluten-free recipes call for a significant number of ingredients. Where previously I could whip up a biscuit using five items, now I was being told to use two dozen. Cakes and breads became a bizarre blend as many as twenty dry ingredients, all just to get the equivalent portions to a point where you'd have something edible.

And I hated it.

I've got three kids, two part time jobs, and a husband who works weird shifts. I don't have the time or the inclination to spend an hour just measuring out ingredients before the food actually gets mixed up and stuck in the oven. So what I began doing was selecting a few gluten-free flours that I really like the flavor of, keeping those on hand at all times, and finding ways to use them in a way that was tasty and creative -- and most importantly, simple.

I always have tapioca flour, white rice flour, brown rice flour, and soy flour in my pantry. On occasion, I'll pick up coconut flour if it's on sale. That's pretty much it. If I can't bake something with these staple ingredients, it probably won't get made.

So anyway, I bought a bag of peaches on my way home from the Farmer's Market, and was going to use them to make a cobbler. I discovered upon biting into the first peach that they weren't quite ripe yet -- good enough to snack on, but not really conducive to cobbler-making. However, I always have canned fruit in my pantry in anticipation of the coming Zombie Apocalypse, so I used a 29-oz can instead. Fresh would have been better, but I wanted peach cobbler NOW, not in a week.

Gluten Free Peach Cobbler

For the peach filling, you'll need:
1 29-oz can peaches
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp tapioca flour

Put the peaches, juice and all, into a bowl. Dice the peaches so they're bite-sized.




Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and tapioca flour.

Whisk it all together.

Oh, while you're doing this, preheat your oven to 425.
Pour your peach filling into a lightly greased 8x8 baking pan. I'm a big fan of Pampered Chef stoneware pans, because everything cooks so uniformly, but use what you have.


 

In another bowl, make your cobbler crust. You'll need:

1/2 C white rice flour
1/2 C brown rice flour
1 C tapioca flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
4 tsp butter, diced into chunks
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 C milk

Blend all of these together until you've got a batter, like so.
<-------
Glop the batter (yes, that is a technical term, why do you ask?) into the peach filling with a spoon. Let it sink down in there between the peaches for extra cobblery goodness.
Bake for about 25 minutes at 425.

Let your cobbler cool for about ten minutes before serving.
Serve it up with a big helping of your favorite whipped topping, or better yet, vanilla ice cream.

Optional: sprinkle  a bit of cinnamon sugar on top.

Seriously, try this - it's the perfect summer cookout dessert, and your non GF-eating friends won't even know that it's gluten free.

1 comment: