Sunday, July 24, 2011

Gluten Free Banana Fritters

The other day I had a hankering for banana fritters, so I whipped some together. They're amazing as a side dish if you're doing a cool island-style dinner (which I did), or if you want to throw together an afternoon snack. My friend Bean calls them the ultimate stoner food, so keep that in mind if you've got the late night munchies and don't feel like driving to Circle K to stock up on Cheezy Poofs and Slim Jims.

As always, many of the measurements are approximate. I don't really measure things, I just toss stuff in a bowl until it looks right.

You need:

2 Cups (more or less) Gluten Free flour - I use the King Arthur brand
2 Tbs sugar
A pinch of salt
A pinch of baking powder
1 egg
Milk
Bananas
Canola oil for frying
Honey


Combine all your dry ingredients in a bowl, and then whisk in your egg.
Add milk until it looks like batter. Honestly, I have no idea how much milk I used, I just poured it in until it looked right. Maybe 3/4 Cup?
 Chunk up yer 'nanners.
 Coat your banana chunks in batter.
Drop them in hot oil, a few at a time, to fry them.
Flip 'em if you have to, because you want them to be this lovely golden color all over.

Drizzle with honey and eat while still warm. You can also sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar, but I'm a fan of the honey because I buy it from a local guy. That means local bees.

Seriously, these are amazing warm - the bananas get all gooey inside. If you don't eat them all, refrigerate them in an airtight container, but warm 'em back up in your microwave before you eat them.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment