Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lydia Bennet is on Her Way

A few months ago, I had the chance to submit a short story to the annual Chawton House competition, which is a fairly big deal. The challenge was to write a short story based on the heroes and villains of Jane Austen's work. While my story, The Scandalous Miss Lydia Bennet, didn't win, I was still pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

I've always thought Lydia got the short end of things in Pride and Prejudice, and that there was no way she was really as foolish as everyone thought she was. And as if it wasn't bad enough to have all of Meryton thinking you're an idiot (and one of questionable virtue, at that), she got stuck married to Wickham, which would be like waking up next to a big pile of asshattery every morning.

So, I decided to take this fun little story about Lydia and what I imagined she was really up to, and make it available as a digital download for folks to read on their nooks, Kindles, Kobos, iPads, or e-Whatevers. It's only about 2,800 words, and should be available in the next week or so, once all the formatting is confirmed as being correct, and so forth, so I'll keep you all posted.



Meanwhile, here's a peek at the cover.

Curious yet?

2 comments: