Monday, August 8, 2011

Make Your Own Nutella

Nutella is one of those foods I rarely buy because, honestly, it's a bit pricey and my kids will eat an entire jar in about 48 seconds, not even including the time it takes to lick the lid clean. I don't even really like hazelnuts, but I dig Nutella. So when I saw that Instructables had an awesomepossum recipe for making it from scratch, I thought to myself, "Self, we's a-tryin' that!"

Now, I did have to tweak the recipe a bit to get the official Caitlin and Zac seal of approval, being the Nutella connoisseurs that they are, but the end result was even better than I expected. And, because I got a buttload of it, it ended up costing me about a third of what I'd spend to buy a jar already made. This is my version of the recipe, with modifications, but if you'd like to read the original version, click the link above.

You'll need:

7 oz hazelnuts (yes, they come in an 8 oz bag)
10 oz baking chocolate
1 can condensed milk
1/3 C regular milk
1/4 tsp salt
Roast the hazelnuts in a pan until they're nicely browned. Do not abandon them to go update your Facebook page, or they will burn. Yes. Trust me.

Put the hazelnuts in your food processor, and blend the hell out of them until you've got something that looks and feels like peanut butter.


Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Sure, you could use a double boiler, but I'm a fan of working smarter, not harder.
 Add the condensed milk, and mix.
Dump your hazelnut mix in with the chocolate and condensed milk. Yes, it looks poopy. And yes, it tastes amazing.

Add the salt.
Warm up the milk, and gradually add it into the mix. This will be sort of liquidy at first, but as it cools it will thicken.
 Blendity blendity blendity blend.
OMG TASTY! Dip it with graham crackers, shortbread cookies, or just eat it with a spoon.
Store it in an airtight container in your fridge. Tell the kids it's onion gravy so they'll stay away from it.

7 comments:

  1. I just clicked on your link because I love Nutella! Our German foreign exchange student from a about 18 years ago introduced us to it! It's to DIE for !

    I got all the way through reading before I noticed it was from you! You are now my favorite person EVER !

    (Glynis)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this! It looks awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I kill the HUGE jar of Nutella in my pantry I'm totally doin this to replace it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You. You are now my idol. You win all the Internets and a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worship Thee also lol (3 Sons 15, 3 and a newborn;) BB <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete