Monday, September 26, 2011

Big-Ass Carrots and What to Do With Them

I've never planted carrots before, but I decided I'd give it a shot this year to see how well they did in our soil. Around here the dirt is kind of a crapshoot - I never know from one side of the yard to the other what's going to be producing and what's going to be like the freakin' Sahara desert. At any rate, the other day I noticed that the carrots were looking pretty bushy - and I was having a hankering for carrots -- so I dug them up.

Holy guacamole, Batman. These are some big-ass carrots.















No, really, I'm talking about BIG.



















That's like the Carrot That Ate Cleveland right there.

So there I am with a big basket of Big Ass Carrots -- about four pounds of them -- and wondering what to do with them. After all, you can only dip so many carrots in ranch dressing before it becomes boring, so I decided to do two things. The first was candied carrots for dinner:

Candied Carrots

2 lbs carrots, washed and peeled
Butter
Salt
Brown Sugar

Chunk your carrots up into pretty little pieces. Melt the butter in a saute pan over low heat, and toss in the carrots. Coat them so they're all nice and shiny. Add a pinch of salt and cook until the carrots are soft -- in fact, if you let them get a little bit translucent, it's even better.

Add the brown sugar, and stir it all up until it's melty and good. Yum. Candied carrots.


After I made candied carrots for dinner I still had a bunch of Big Ass Carrots left. I decided to use my cool new Ninja Chopper and make a carrot smoothie to drink for breakfast the next day, and it was amazing.

Carrot Smoothie

2 lbs carrots, washed and peeled
3 C orange juice
1/4 C fresh ginger (or about 1 Tbs powdered)

Toss them all in your chopper/blender thingie and puree the hell out of it. The smoothie is more pulpy than my kids liked, but I thought it was delicious and it filled me up. Dig in and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Carrots RULE!! But, I love any kind of veggies anyhow, I'm not crazy about red meat so any veggy will do. Great ways to utilize the carrots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sounds super, Patti. You can also cube them, steam them and mash them up really well, add butter and a little brown sugar. One of my favorites is to add steamed parsnips to the carrots, add butter and a little less brown sugar, then mash up really well. What a yummy way to eat your veggies!

    ReplyDelete