Sunday, April 22, 2012

Make Your Own Mayonnaise

So any time I make a comment about making my own mayonnaise, inevitably I get 87 emails from friends along the lines of OMG YOU MAKE YOUR OWN MAYO NOM NOM NOM, so rather than sending out the same response over and over, I figured I'd just post the recipe here.

I should preface this by saying it's a recipe my mom has been using for as long as I can remember, and I have NO idea where she found it (I'm sure she'll tell me), but it's a pretty standard mayo recipe. I like to jazz it up sometimes with things like curry powder, dill, and other good stuff, and I use it as a base for an amazing Remoulade sauce.

Oh, and as to WHY you should try making your own mayo? Have you ever read the list of ingredients on a jar of store-bought mayonnaise? This tastes a thousand times better and has stuff in it you recognize.

Basic Mayonnaise

1/4 C. Eggbeaters
1/4 C. Olive oil
1/2 tsp. mustard (powder)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. lemon juice

Add all of these to the bowl of your food processor, and blend together. Then slowly pour in 1 C. canola oil.

That's it. That's mayonnaise. This gives you about a cup and a half of delicious creamy mayonnaisey goodness, and it'll last you about two weeks in a tightly sealed container in your fridge. Try it. It kicks ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment